"EA exists to coordinate and lead the European accreditation infrastructure to allow the results of conformity assessment services in one country to be accepted by Regulators and the market place in another country without further examination, for the benefit of the European community and the global economy."
The EA is a not-for-profit association set up in November 1997 and registered in the Netherlands in June 2000 (Articles of Association).
The EA’s mission consists of:
- Defining, harmonising and building consistency in accreditation in Europe, by ensuring common interpretation and application of the standards used by its members;
- Ensuring transparency of the operations (including assessments) performed and results provided by its members;
- Maintaining a multilateral agreement on mutual recognition between accreditation activities and reciprocal acceptance of accredited conformity assessment services and results;
- Managing a peer evaluation system consistent with international practices - EA as a recognised region in ILAC (International Laboratory Accreditation Cooperation) and IAF (International Accreditation Forum) and a signatory to their mutual arrangements;
- Acting as a technical resource on matters related to the implementation and operation of the European policies on accreditation.