Published on: 08/09/2017
Public consultation on the revision of the policy on monitoring, reporting and verification of CO2 emissions from maritime transport
The European Commission has launched the public consultation on the revision of the policy on monitoring, reporting and verification of CO2 emissions from maritime transport (EU MRV Regulation).
The objective of the consultation is inter alia that at the international level, the International Maritime Organisation (IMO) has completed the legal framework for its global data collection system (IMO DCS) with the adoption in July 2017 of guidelines on data verification and database management. Considering these recent developments, the Commission is now reviewing the situation with a view to align the EU MRV with the IMO DCS and it will table, if appropriate, a legislative proposal to amend the EU MRV accordingly in 2018.
All citizens and organisations are welcome to contribute to this consultation. Contributions are particularly sought from stakeholders that are actively involved in tackling emissions from maritime transport the EU and worldwide, such as:
- The shipping industry in general (shipowners as well as other parties generally assuming the responsibility for the operation of the ship and their European and global associations).
- MRV shipping verifiers and Recognised Organisations entitled to carry out verification under the IMO global data collection system
- National accreditation bodies as responsible for providing accreditation under the MRV shipping
- Other businesses/ associations such as cargo owners and logistics companies, ports, ships producers, maritime equipment manufacturers, maritime service providers, shipping emission players, science and technology experts, etc.
- Civil society groups addressing the impact of maritime transport e.g. academia, think tanks, Environmental NGOs, etc.
- EEA Member States and third countries involved in the implementation of the EU MRV or IMO DCS
The period of consultation is from 08 September 2017 to 01 December 2017